Moorphy (2003) have defined workforce planning as a process of ensuring that an organization has right number of employee with desired knowledge and skills in the right place at right time. It should be fully systematic and fully integrated process which involves planning to avoid talent shortages. Workforce planning is based on the fact that organization is staffed efficiently so that need for panic hiring can be avoided. Workforce planning is also known as talent planning as this stage includes all forecasting element related to recruiting, retention, and leadership and employee development(McCauley and Wakefield 2006).
Good workforce planning has significant advantages such as
• Vacant position due to sudden turnover figure out rapidly
• Will ensure that organization meet it production goal as right number of people are employed
• Product development increases because organization has people with right skills
• New projects can be done more efficiently as organization has already prepared and trained its employees/internal talent.
Talent management is defined as “Talent management includes sourcing, screening, selection, retention, development, and renewal of the workforces with analysis and planning”(Schweyer 2010). For the success of an organization it is very important that talented individual are hired and hiring the most talented individual is the most challenging task. Therefore managers should take following steps in order to carry out effective talent management.
• Managers should concentrate on honest and analytical reviews to know about the individual talent in the company by level and function and with the goals to identify individuals with high Performa.
• Team evaluation (strength and weakness of entire team) should be evaluated by using performance review and assessment
• Internal talent pool should be listed against the critical management and value competencies standard of firm
• Mapping of competencies skills and function should be done against success factors and strategic factors of high Performa talent. Secondly gap between high Performa and broader team should be identify and analyzed.
• Strategies should be developed to close the talent gap. it includes employees training and development of recruiting policies in order to identify newly identify success fact (Baumruk 2006).
Fig. 1. Steps of effective talent management process(Haworth and Whitman 2003).
Pretoria university policy statement
The university should recognize the importance of performance achievement, institutional culture which will promote the employee productivity by aligning the team performance and individual with the goal and objective of the university.
The Pretoria University will be committed to create supportive, stimulating and equitable working environment which will empower the employee at all level.
To recruit and develop the world’s most experienced and highly skilled and outstanding staff and be a truly global University which benefit society as a whole and the creation and the dissemination of knowledge. Value, support and challenge the staff of the university to their level best. Comprehensive talent management approach will be used by the university. Should also define the criteria for the
• Talent identification
• Performance management system
• Level of work
• Talent review process
• Talent development process in order to nurture talent in the university
Integrated talent management process will be developed which will be in line with the following principles
Process of talent management process will ensure that all are linked with the goals and objectives of the university
Talent management process should be integrated approach which will integrate other people process i.e recruitment and selection, training learning and development, employee equity, remuneration and benefits(Stahl, Björkman et al. 2012).
Roles and responsibilities
Managers should design the talent management process such that it enable the leadership to manage the talent in the university and individual in the university should be responsible for managing their own development, career and performance.
Talent management process should be transparent all the time. Feedback process should be there.
Purpose of talent management in Pretoria University
The main purpose of talent management integrated approach is to enhance the achievement of objective of university through a process of identification, attraction, nurturing and retention of talent across the whole university.
Main objective of Pretoria University is to ensure that university will attract and retain high performing talented employees which will help to achieve the objectives by
• Ensuring a continuous supply of highly competent talent
• Enabling the talent in university to perform at appropriate level
• Ensuring competencies (knowledge, skills, values) at different levels
Managers should clarify the requirement of individual as well as team performance, success indicators, expectations that will lead to effective, efficient and improved quality of university.
Manager should enable job fulfillment in a motivating environment by providing challenging assignment to all the employees of the university
Fair and transparent ways should be provide by managers to recognize and reward talent in the university
Encourage the employees to gain competencies which will help them to perform their duties in effective and efficient ways.
Talent management process
Talent identification criteria of Pretoria University
Talent in the university will be identified by assessing the following criteria
• Level of work
For the purpose of talent management university process management system will be used to assess the performance of an individual. All the employees have to complete the performance agreement and potential device plan which should reflect target, success measure and output in line with the performance expectation. Other than this line manager will be responsible to provide the continuous feedback on performance progress and should inform the HR manager in case of identification of poor performance. In order to promote the continuous improvement and learning performance review as well as assessment should be done by line managers. Outcome of the review should be the primary input to the talent management process of the university.
Managers will assess the potential of staff on the basis of their ability to carry out future assignment and to work efficiently at next level. For valid talent identification learning agility and competencies should be the core consideration of the university.
Level of work /Leadership
In the university level specific pathways will be formed for which talent mapping will be done.in the leadership path way manager will identify 4 leadership level(managing other , leading a group, leading a university, leading leader)those who exceed performance criteria will this pathway.
5 specialization levels should be present in the university
• Within the university
• Within the discipline
• Within the sector
Integrated talent capability framework(Whelan and Carcary 2011)
Capability framework which describes broad competencies required by the Pretoria University will be mapped by the mangers which will help them to understand the required qualities, attributes and skills needed at each level at present or in future.by using this framework at all level acquired competencies will be indicated prior to the promotion to next level
Talent review process(Lewis and Heckman 2006)
The main purpose of talent review process is to identify the strength of talent in the institution and plans are proposed to ensure that talent competitiveness is retained.
Talent identification(Abbott, Collins et al. 2002)
Talent identification process should be guided by successful leadership such as personality, conceptual, intelligent, performance, leadership and potential. Talent identification should be supported by 360º leadership assessment result, rating of performance management, work assessment level and performance profile result(Davis, Cutt et al. 2016). In order to evaluate the suitability of various roles and potential assessment process should be used.
Talent mapping(Naqvi 2009, Garavan, Carbery et al. 2012)
Talent mapping is guided by the talent identification process outcomes. In this university talent should be profile according to the performance potential matrix with relative to leadership specialization level. This involves a graphical representation of strength and weakness of each leadership level.
Talent forum should be setup to identify and manage talent and it consist of management team at different level
Talent forum will review as well as monitor of all employees’ performance according to the outcome of talent mapping
It will confirm talent strength for university and also proposed action plan.
Will form wide university proposal and communicate to the university talent forum chaired by the VC.
Talent plan will include high level proposal for attraction, retention and engagement of talent
Attraction: proposal of what the university will do to attract talent
Retention: proposal to what university will do to retain talent
Engagement: proposal to what university will do to engage talent
University must provide equal opportunity for development. Type of development undertaken by the individual should match with their potential in order to ensure maximum benefit. Line manager should be responsible to provide support and guidance in order to ensure that development is taking place.
Employee’s engagement orientation program
All the new employees will require attending the university work orientation program so that they get to know about policies of university, procedures, guidelines and regulation according to the specific job description
All new employees will also require attending the research induction programs so that they know about the research procedure and guidelines.
For staff development in university different committee will be formed to ensure the quality of activities such as: teaching and learning; research; management and administration. Budget will be formulated by the mangers for in-house training and development programs.
Example of talent management in Pretoria University
Recruitment on the staff
? Requirement of university:
Need to hire 3 assistant professor ( pharmacology, pharmaceutics, biochemistry) and 3 lectures ( pharmacology, pharmaceutics, biochemistry) . The University is committed to provide equality of opportunity to all the talented people.
? Development of job description / Level of knowledge and skills required for the desired position
Pretoria University requires the services of highly qualified and competent candidates for the posts of Assistant Professors, Associate Professors and lecturer. In table 1 knowledge and required skills required for the job is mentioned.
Table 1: Job description for the available post.
Position Qualification Experience Required skills Date by which these position are to filled
Professor • BS mechanical engineering
• MS mechanical engineering
• PhD mechanical engineering
• Minimum 15 research publication Minimum 15 year experience required • Self-motivated
• Career oriented
• Excellent presentation skills
• Excellent time management skills
• Excellent communication skills
1st October 2018
Assistant professor • BS mechanical engineering
• MS mechanical engineering
• PhD mechanical engineering
• Minimum 10 research publication Minimum 10 years of experience is required
Lecturer • BS Mechanical Engineering
• MPhil Mechanical engineering Minimum 1- 2 year experience is required
Required skills for professor and assistant professor
• Should demonstrate current position as international standing scholars
• Have outstanding research output in last 10 or 15 years
• If necessary have ability to generate external funding for different research projects
• Must be a supervisor. External examiner of different postgraduate thesis in the last 10 years
• High consistent throughput in the different program taught
• Innovative teaching method and development of curriculum
• Recognized as excellent teacher by peer, students and external stakeholder
• Professional integrity
Building of the employers brand (Umarani 2013)
In order to secure the best talent in a university employers brand will be build as a global employer of choice
• Strategically best staff will be targeted
• Encourage the development of professional and academic service community that will be beneficial for all
• In order to deliver the workforce plan work should be done in partnership with academic leaders and senior managers
• Induction approach will be develop in order to accelerate the hiring of new staff in the university