Albay is a province of the Philippines situated in the Bicol Region in southeastern Luzon Island. The name Bikol initially came to be known as the name of the greatest and longest waterway in the locale. The waterway originates from the outpouring of lakes and springs from the regions of Albay, Camarines Sur and Camarines Norte and shapes an extensive stream that exits in the San Miguel Bay, off the shores of Camarines Sur. The general population of the district is called Bikolanos and the dialect is called Bikol.The nationals of Albay are called Albayanos.
Albay is a region made out of 15 towns and 3 urban areas. The capital of the area is Legazpi City. It was named after Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, the Spanish conquestador who went to the Philippines in 1565 and began the enormous colonization. The nation turned into the state of Spain for the following 300 years. Thus, the Albayanos ended up sincere Catholics.HISTORYBefore the Spaniards set foot in Albay in 1569, Albay had a flourishing human advancement and a rich culture.
The land was rich, lavish vegetation secured the fields and the mountains. The earth yielded minerals, including gold. In July 1569, Luis Enriquez de Guzman, an individual from the Spanish campaign driven by Legazpi, and the Agustinian Fray Alonso Jimenez arrived in the southeastern side of the locale, in a town called Gibalong and travelled by land until the point when they achieved the town of Camalig, now nearly in the core of Albay and at the foot of Mayon Volcano. Catholicism was first acquainted with the Bikolanos in 1569. The happening to the Franciscans in 1578 began an orderly and continued procedure of Catholic transformation. In 1572, Juan de Salcedo, looking for gold, entered the Bicol Peninsula from the north and made it as far south as Libon, building up the simple first settlement called Santiago de Libon.
In 1574 the Spanish endeavors in Bikol came back to Manila with more than 4,000 ounces of gold. They trusted they have discovered the place that is known for “El Dorado.” In April 3, 1574 the place called “Baybayon” turned into an encomienda appointed by Philippine Governor General Guido de Lavesares to Juan Guerra.
This place would later be called “”Baybay”, at that point “Al Baybay” and later abbreviated to “Albay.” The improvement of Albay was to a great extent crafted by Jose Maria Peñaranda, the legislative head of Albay from 1834 to 1843. His landmark remains in a court bearing his name before the Provincial Capitol.